Skip to main content

Louisiana or Bust

Tomorrow morning Matt and I are getting on a plane and flying to New Orleans! Not a strange thing to read on this blog because we are always adventuring off somewhere. The next day I am running the Louisiana Marathon. Again, not out of the ordinary, we like to sign up for marathons in other states. But here is the kicker: it is just us. As in, just the two of us (go ahead, sing it right out loud). For the first time EVER. Well, since we became three, and then four. Yup, the last time Matt and I slept in the same room together without a child in the house was six years, one month, and three weeks ago. Also known as the night before Madeleine was born.

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?

Let me tell you - I am going to go to bed at a ridiculously early hour stark raving sober tomorrow night, get up and attend a 26.2 minute mass presided over by a marathon running priest and then I am going to (hopefully) run the fastest 26.2 miles I have ever run. And then. We party!

The marathon is in Baton Rouge, so once I have had a nice, cold Abita and a nicer, warm shower, we head to New Orleans for two nights of sitting at the bar to eat, sleeping without any children wedged into our backs and  hanging out. Just the two of us.

I am so thankful for the opportunity to do this - not something that happens when you have very little family in the area - but my village pulled together and I think me and my fella are going to have a wonderful time. Can't wait to see my old friend, hand grenade, and see what it is like to sleep past 5:11am on a weekend morning.

My book is packed into my carry on, because I will actually be able to read it, and I even brought my neck pillow since no one is going to need me to hold their iPad or take them to the bathroom or do anything at all, I hope.

New Orleans is a super special place to me since going there after Katrina to volunteer a number of times. It is where I met some of my very favorite people, ate some of the best food I have ever eaten, and learned about the value of resiliency, compassion and community.

I. Am. So. Excited.

See you back here next week with too many pictures and some good stories :)

See previous trips to NOLA here and here.

Almost 7 years ago helping to rebuild NOLA.

Aaaaand even more years before that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things I Love // 1

I love a lot of things and I really like to share these things, so I am starting a new weekly post just to talk and share and maybe hear about what other people love. Love it! First of all, I hope everyone had a chance to reflect of the life of Dr. King today, whose words never become antiquated. Today more than ever his speeches, his work and his method of non-violence are great examples of how to fight for social justice. Every year I spend some of this day talking to Maddie about Dr. King's message and I can only hope that it helps form her and inspire her to be a change agent in her world. On to much less meaningful things now: five things I am totally digging. 1. Nars blush in Orgasm . I have had this on my to-buy list for ages and was forced urged by my husband to finally buy it Saturday afternoon before a date night. I love it. It is the perfect color, the perfect amount of shimmer and actually lasts the whole day. Sold. 2. Bastille Kitchen in Fort Point. Spea...

Good-Bye Green Line

Tonight is officially my last night as an Allstonian. Or a Brightonian. I won't even live off the green line after I wake up tomorrow morning. No more 45 minute train rides that stop every block, no more "This train will run express to Packard's Corner". Tomorrow when I wake up I will pack the cat into his carrier, grab my purse and my husband will drive me and this baby in my belly to Dorchester, to our home, where we will have our first baby, our first wedding anniversary, where we will be "mom and dad" for the first time instead of just "husband and wife" or "Stef and Matty". I will use the vacuum cleaner Matty bought last night, the first new vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in my twenty nine years, and I will hang up pictures from our wedding, our trips to other states and time zones, pictures of our friends and our families. And on Monday I will wake up and catch the Red Line into work. It won't take too long, despite being fart...

Monday night and half a bottle of riesling.

You may be asking yourself now, "why the hell does Stef need a blog, she spends too much damn time on myspace/facebook/perezhilton as it is". Well, I have one because I need one. I get writers cramp too bad to keep a journal, and I can drink and type with much more ease. But really, I think this will be a good way to organize my thoughts, and keep my scattered friends better posted on my life. When your closest friends span from Seattle to Spain, it can be hard to keep them up to the minute on the important things in life - like what I'm doing on any given Monday night. (The answer tonight is sitting on the couch watching the Red Sox, while Matty reads the Augusten Burroughs book I just finished, having just ate a super yummy "smothered pork chop" dish that said Matty made, and applying for jobs at the Crime and Justice Institute). I really just plan on rambling on about my life, and sharing things that I think you ought to know like if Matty and I went for a bi...